“I don’t think the fear of disease or the fear of adverse consequences is what gets anybody to make a long term change. I think it’s connecting with the positive aspect of whatever it is you’re choosing.”
In this episode of the Mindspace podcast, Dr. Joe speaks with Dr. Kara Nance. Kara is a physician, double-board certified in Internal Medicine and Obesity Medicine. She is the founder of WellessenceMD, a medical practice in Chicago with an innovative, integrative approach to primary care and weight management. Kara is a certified Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction teacher and uses mindfulness with her patients to address the cognitive, emotional, and behavioural components of diet.
Kara takes Dr. Joe on a fascinating tour of nutrition science, clinical best-practices, and the wisdom she has gained from many years of practice.
Their conversation covered:
– An analysis of several popular diets including the Ornish, paleo, ketogenic, and plant-based approaches
– The scary truth about sugar
– The challenges of managing our kids sugar intake
– The role of the microbiome
– How mindfulness can promote healthy eating
– And a variety of practical tips and tricks to maintain healthy eating habits
If you’d like to learn how to practice mindfulness to help with your diet, eating habits or any other unhelpful habits, please reach out to Mindspace:
Check out other episodes here:
If you would like to keep updated with new releases of the Mindspace podcast, sign up for our newsletter here:
Connect with Dr. Joe on
Follow Mindspace on