Find out how to find and finance a property with no permit requirements and very low taxes in Ontario, Canada.
I found my solution in the form of an unorganized township in Ontario, Canada. Here, I am unencumbered by government oversight. With no building permit requirement and very low annual property taxes, I am free to build what I want, where I want and when I want. Without oversight, I am free to build another log cabin. This one is 10 feet by 20 feet – 200 square feet plus a 70 square foot covered porch and a back deck overlooking the stream, which will eventually be screened in.
How to find a property in an unorganized township
1. Search Realtor.ca in the area that you are interested in.
2. Contact real estate agents in desired locations and asked for a list of unorganized townships in the area.
3. Ask realtor for a list of properties for sale in an unorganized townships. Include already developed properties – sometimes the building is not suitable for habitation but beneficial infrastructure is in place, such as driveway, well and septic.
4. Visit (Crown Land Use Policy Atlas) to see what public lands are located near your property. Ideally, a large park of public land should be within walking distance.
5. Spend time on Google Earth to get an idea of what surrounds the property – lakes and rivers, landfill sites, other developments, mines, quarries, etc.