8 Apple Cider Vinegar Weight Loss Benefits You Need To Know
Apple cider vinegar has been a favorite in the wellness world for some time — you may have even tried a weight loss or detox drink that contains apple cider vinegar (ACV) yourself. Because if its popularity, it can be easy to dismiss ACV as all hype, but the truth is this natural remedy is a proven powerhouse with the science to back it up.
The main component of apple cider vinegar is acetic acid. Otherwise called “ethanoic acid,” It is an organic compound with a sour taste but an overpowering smell.
The Benefits of Acetic Acid Component of Vinegar
Acetic Acid and Fat Loss: Studies on some animals suggest that acetic acid in apple cider vinegar can enhance weight loss
Lets take take a look at these
1. Improves Metabolism: A survey carried out on rats exposed to acetic acid revealed an increase in the production of the enzyme AMPK which is responsible or boosting the burning of fat and decreasing sugar and fat production in the liver (4).
2. Decreases in the Level of Blood Sugar: A similar study revealed that acetic acid has the ability to decreases the amount of sugar picked up from the blood by the muscles and liver (3).
3. Fat Burning: In a related study, the acetic acid was introduced as a supplement in a high-fat diet and served to mice. The result showed an increase in the production of genes responsible for burning fat (5, 6, 7).
4. Lowers Insulin Level: Another study still on rat showed a reduction in the level of insulin compared to glucagon. Consequently, it might improve the burning of fat (3).
5. Enhances feeling of fullness which Reduces More Calorie Intake: In a study carried out on 11 individuals; it was observed that individuals who took vinegar and a meal with high carb content recorded about 55% lower level of blood sugar an hour after they have eaten. These individuals were also reported to consume about 200-275 less calories throughout the day (10, 11).
6. Slow down the rate at which food leaves the body: In addition to its appetite-suppressing effects, apple cider vinegar has also been shown to slow the rate at which food exit your stomach. Delayed stomach emptying is a common symptom of type 1 diabetes. So, taking apple cider vinegar with such complication can worsen the effect of gastroparesis (12).
7. It May Help You Lose Weight and Body Fat: Apple cider vinegar has a significant effect on body fat and weight loss (13). In a study which lasted for 12 weeks, 144 adult Japanese who were obese took either a placebo drink, 30 ml (2 tablespoons) or 15 m (1 tablespoon) of vinegar daily. They were also advised to stop their intake of alcohol while maintaining their usual diet and other activities through the period of the study. Results showed that those who took 15 ml (a tablespoon) of vinegar daily experienced the following benefits: 26% decrease in the level of triglycerides, 0.5inches (1.4 cm) reduction in their waist circumference, 0.7% reduction in body fat percentage, and 1.2 kg (2.6 pounds) of weight loss.
8. Suppresses Appetite: Another study showed that exposure to acetate is capable of inhibiting the part of the brain which controls appetite. This will invariably lead to low food intake. Apparently, there is a need for more research on the subject, especially on human, to confirm the experimentation on animals (8).
How to select the best apple cider vinegar
Choose the mother lode: When comparing ACVs, the murkier, the better. In its unfiltered and unpasteurized state, a good apple cider vinegar contains a cloudy mass called the mother. Apple cider vinegar’s mother is full of probiotics, beneficial bacteria and enzymes, and trace minerals. Clear, filtered apple cider vinegar is stripped of this benefit, making raw, organic apple cider vinegar with mother the most nutritionally potent option.
Avoid apple cider vinegar pills: Although you can also buy apple cider vinegar pills, stick to using raw, liquid ACV. Apple cider vinegar pills contain no live probiotics, and have caused esophageal damage. Plus, in a study of several available brands, researchers were left unsure if ACV was even an ingredient in ACV pills. The good news, apple cider vinegar is delicious, and easy to add to so many different recipes.
Apple cider vinegar recipes